Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Onion Pie

I had a friend bring me 50 pounds of sweet onions yesterday. In lieu of going grocery shopping I decided to "make due"! I rounded out dinner with green beans and a fresh salad with cukes and avocado. Let me tell you, it tasted wonderful, even my grand kids ate it all. It is a little heavy on the eggs which I normally try to stay away from, but we had lots of eggs (we have chickens) and LOTS of onions.

(I will try to post some pictures soon. My camera is refusing to charge.)

  • Pie pastry (recipe below)
  • 3 cups of peeled thinly sliced onions
  • 3 tbs nut milk, cream or substitute
  • 3 eggs
  • olive oil for sauteing
  • salt & pepper to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Heat pan with small amount of oil over medium heat and fry onions until golden
  3. Beat eggs with milk and add salt and pepper
  4. Spread onions in uncooked pie shell and pour egg mixture over onions
  5. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.

Can serve with a dollop of sour cream or substitute if desired.

EASY PIE CRUST

  • 1 scant cup whole wheat flour, preferably soft
  • 1 tb corn starch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (coconut, olive, avocado, grape - your choice)
  • 1/8 cup cold soy milk (or what you have...original recipe was not vegan)
  1. Combine flour, corn starch and salt
  2. Mix together oil and milk and add to dry ingredients. Stir lightly with fork and round dough into a ball
  3. Roll out to fit pie plate
  4. Prick bottom of crust with fork

No comments: